Personal Professional Development
It is always important to keep alert for possibilities for change and development.
And that means checking where you are heading - and what you need to get where you want to be.
One good tool we have used in WEXDEV has been adapted from one developed by Peter Hawkins, from the UK. He uses the model of a business audit - with you looking at yourself as a product, identifying the market, business planning, developing the 'product' and then reviewing.
This is a much shorter model, but why not consider these questions:
- WHERE AM I NOW?
- Are you fully aware of your unique strengths and experience?
- Is your cv up-to-date and does it sell these attributes?
- Do you regularly get feedback from colleagues?
- Have you defined your future learning and development needs?
- Are you clear about your values - and do they match your career plans?
- WHERE DO I WANT TO BE?
- Do you have a clear vision and goals - professionally and personally?
- Do key people around you - such as your immediate superior - know where you would like to go next?
- What new skills will you need to acquire?
- Do you review the available opportunities in terms of employment changes?
- 3.HOW DO I GET THERE?
- Are you a good project manager - can you set achievable objectives?
- Who can help you - either a specific mentor, or your support network?
- Do you keep up-to-date in your field, through reading and conferences?
- Can you negotiate political tensions?
- Can you recognise factors outside your control?
- GETTING THERE
- Are you confident of your written skills?
- Do you have good oral skills in interviews?
- Are you flexible and seize opportunities to stretch yourself?
- Do you have a role model/mentor from whom you can learn?
- Do you manage time efficiently?
- REVIEW AND IMPROVEMENT
- Do you regularly monitor your progress as the situation changes - and then adjust your goals?
- Are you aware when you have reached a plateau - and do you then think about new opportunities?
- Do you regularly check the balance between your work/personal life?
- Do you keep in touch with other professionals in your field?
- Have you got an underlying self-confidence - even if you have been rejected in an application?